According to a report on the water crisis in India, the rural population lives in about 1.7 million habitations including villages, 1.3 million of which gets 40 litres of water per person every day for all uses, including drinking and other usage like bathing, washing clothes, utensils, and sanitation. The rest, that is, 66,093 rural habitations receive drinking water from sources contaminated with either one or more chemicals such as nitrate, arsenic, fluoride, iron and salinity. 22% of people in rural India have to travel more than half a km to get drinking water, while women and children have to spend more than 4 hours walking for water each day. It is also estimated that around 37.7 million Indians are affected by waterborne diseases annually, 1.5 million children are estimated to die of diarrhoea and 73 million working days are lost due to waterborne diseases each year. This results in economic burden worth about $600 million a year.
These figures clearly indicate that water resources in the rural habitations are still stressed, causing severe water scarcity and health concerns. There is a pressing need for a sustainable and affordable solution to provide safe drinking water to the rural population. A water ATM can address this need to a significant extent.
What is a Water ATM?
A water ATM is an automated water dispenser that provides pure drinking water. The primary objective of a water ATM is to provide pure and safe drinking water at a nominal cost. Also known as a water vending machine, it is akin to a bank ATM. The difference being that it dispenses water instead of money.
What are the benefits of a Water ATM?
- It makes pure water easily available 24/7 to people. People don’t need to travel long distances to fetch water or depend on groundwater and other sources of unsafe water.
- It can be easily installed in any area or community facing a shortage of water or receiving unclean water.
- It reduces the dependence on packaged drinking water, which otherwise is the very expensive solution for the rural masses.
- It provides social entrepreneurship opportunities at a minimum cost.
A water ATM machine also brings a positive impact on the social-economic progress of people and country at large. Children and adults will no longer skip schools and work respectively, and women won’t have to stand in long queues. Since the water dispensed from the water ATM is pure, it will also reduce water-borne diseases, and improve the health and sanitation conditions.
Selecting the Right Water ATM
The right water ATM machine is one which has an inbuilt water storage capacity, uses smart technology and is cost efficient for the rural citizens. The Voltas Water ATM meets all these criteria.
- It can serve 1000 people at 2000 liters of pure water per day.
- It can be operated using a smart card or a coin, and hence can be easily handled by anyone.
It has several other useful features:
- It works for both tap and ground water.
- It provides 8 stages of Filtration, Reverse Osmosis and Ozonation.
- It ensures TDS reduction by 90%
- It has an inbuilt RO purification system and a ‘Smart Monitoring’ for remote tracking.
A water ATM is an ideal and safe drinking water solution for rural as well as urban pockets.